Black, Citrus Rice
This is NOT your every day rice, but it does have great flavor and texture, plus it makes a terrific presentation
I've got an Asian supermarket here in Charleston, that's HUGE. It's about the size of one of the old A & P's that you may remember as a kid. They carry products that I have no clue about what they might be or how to cook them. In the past, I've been able to purchase a "Red", Barley Rice, and this Black Rice. Both are only there once in a while, and I always pick up a bag or two because they make such a neat presentation.
Even though you use a standard proportion of rice to liquid (1 part rice to 2 parts liquid) this rice takes a lot longer to absorb the liquid. I usually cook Basmati Rice, and it takes 20 - 25 minutes to cook. This rice cooked for 1 hour, and was perfect. It doesn't seem to absorb the water as fast as what I'm used to. in, fact, as hindsight, I might have let it soak in the Chicken Broth for an hour prior to cooking it, and it would have cooked in less time. But, that would have been a total of 1 1/2 hours from start to finish, which wouldn't have worked either.
On cooking with Orange Juice Concentrate:
I've just begun cooking with Orange Juice Concentrate recently, and I've found that I like using it. Because it's a concentrate, you don't have to cook it as long as Orange Juice. Because of this shorter cooking time, you won't find that you've over cooked the vegetables. The only down side is it's heavy taste. You can fix this by adding a little liquid, like Chicken Broth, Water, of a White Wine, and you can lighten it's flavor and texture with the addition of lemon juice. I actually keep Citric Acid on hand for blending new spice blends, and I replace the juice of 1 lemon, with 1 teaspoon of citric acid (it's a lot easier to store).
- 1 Tablespoon Vegetable Oil, for frying
- 1 Large Onion, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil, as needed
- 2 Cups Black Rice
- 1/4 Cup Frozen Orange Juice Concentrate
- 1 Quart Chicken Broth
- 1 Large Lemon, juiced
1. Heat the oil in a pot over medium heat, add the minced onion, and cook until they are beginning to get soft, and almost translucent.
2. Add another 2 tablespoons of oil along with the rice. Stir this around, until the rice has been coated by the spice mixture. There should have been enough oil to totally coat each grain of rice.
3. Add the Chicken Broth, Orange Juice Concentrate, and the Lemon Juice, and stir. Cover, and turn the heat to high. As soon as it's boiling, turn the heat down to real low, leave the cover on, and cook for about 45 minutes. Lift the lid up, and taste a couple of grains of rice to see if it's done. If it's not done, put the cover on, and give it another 5 - 6 minutes to cook, then taste again. Total Cooking time is about 1 hour, depending upon the temperature you're cooking at.
Be sure that you don't stir this at all during the cooking process, or you'll release all of the starch on the outside. The end result will be mushy rice.
Feedback is GREAT!
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this recipe, or any other of my recipes you've either looked at or tried.
Just send me a note:
- Whether or not you like this recipe and why.
- How you'd like to see it different.
- Suggestions for new recipes I could post.
- Recipes you've made using Butt Kickin' Blacken.